Usted está aquí
“Beat Plastic Pollution: innovative solutions in LAC”
Aula 1 - Sector ILPES
Objectives of the side event:
The side event is organized by UN Environment Programme, in cooperation with CEPAL. The main purposes of the side-event are to:
- Inspire action to achieve the SDGs related to plastic pollution and marine litter, such as SDG 6, 11, 12 and 14
- Showcase global, regional and national initiatives and innovative solutions to “beat plastic pollution”, in particular marine litter.
- Discuss innovative ways to promote plastic-free lifestyles.
Welcome Remarks & Keynote Speech
- Mr. Leo Heileman, Regional Director, UN Environment, Global Initiative: #CleanSeas campaign catalyzing action
Panelists: from Global to Regional and National Action
- Ambassador Douglas Slater, CARICOM (tbc), Regional Initiative: Sustainable Waste Management in the Caribbean
- Mr. Edison Alleyne, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Environment and Drainage of Barbados
- Ms. Clara Salina, Technological innovation: Labelling plastics from cradle to grave Open dialogue
Moderator: Mr. Jose Luis Samaniego, Director Policy Unit, CEPAL
KEY QUESTIONS FOR THE PANELISTS
1. What is the role of the government in tackling marine litter and promoting plastic free lifestyles?
2. What are the on-going efforts made by your government?
3. What role should the private sector play in combating plastic pollution and how can the government facilitate?
4. What are the necessary elements (enabling conditions) to facilitate citizens to move towards Plastic-Free Lifestyles?
5. Lesson learned from your own experience?
6. How can the regional cooperation in Latin America and the Caribbean accelerate the efforts to beat plastic pollution and plastic-free lifestyles?